As a solo traveller who loves to capture beautiful moments and share them on Instagram, I am always on the lookout for the most Instagram-worthy spots in any City I visit.
Chicago with its stunning architecture, vibrant neighborhoods, and diverse attractions, is a goldmine for Instagrammers.
In this blog post, I’ll share 10 most Instagram worthy spots for solo travelers in Chicago, complete with tips for taking the best photos and enjoying solo-friendly activities.
Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, millennium Park is a must-visit for any solo traveller looking for stunning photo opportunities.
The Park’s iconic Cloud Gate sculpture, also known as “The bean,” is one of the most photographed landmarks in Chicago.
Its reflective surface creates interesting distortion and reflections, making it the perfect backdrop for creative selfies and group photos.
Another Instagram-worthy attraction in millennium Park is the Crown Fountain, which features two 50-foot towers that project video images of Chicago residents’ faces.
The towers spout water from their mouths, making for a fun and refreshing photo opportunity on hot summer days.
Tips for Taking the Best Photos at Millennium Park:
- Visit early in the morning or late afternoon to avoid crowds and harsh sunlight.
- Experiment with different angles and perspectives to capture unique shots.
- Check out the Park’s free outdoor concerts, film screenings, and yoga classes for Solo friendly activities.
The Navy Pier
Navy Pier is one of the most popular tourist destination in Chicago that offers stunning views of Lake Michigan and the city’s skyline.
The Pier iconic ferris wheel is a must-visit for Instagrammers, especially at night when it is lit up with colorful lights.
The Pier also has plenty of other Instagram-worthy spots, such as Crystal Gardens indoor Botanical gardens, the Chicago Shakespeare Theater, and the Polk Bros Park, which features interactive fountains that shoot water up to 30 feet in the air
Tips for Taking the Best Photos at Navy Pier:
- Visit in the evening to capture the Ferris wheel’s colorful lights
- Take a boat tour or enjoy a fireworks show for some Solo friendly activities
- Consider visiting during the off-season to avoid crowds and get more photo opportunities.
The Art Institute of Chicago
The Art Institute of Chicago is one of the oldest and largest art museums in the United States, featuring a vast collection of art from around the world.
The museum’s stunning architecture and famous artworks make it an Instagram worthy spot for solo travellers.
One of the most popular photo spots at the museum is the iconic lion statues outside the main entrance, which are often decorated for special events and holidays.
Inside, the museum’s collection of impressionist and post-impressionist art, including works by Claude Monet, Vincent Van Gogh, and Georges Seurat, provides plenty of photo opportunities.
Follow the below tips for making the most of your time enjoyable.
- Check out the museum’s free guided tours for solo travelers
- Visit during the museum’s free admission hours on Thursday evenings
- Experiment with different camera settings and angles to capture the artworks in unique ways
The 606 Trail
The 606 Trail is a former elevated railway that has been transformed into a scenic trail for walking, running, and biking in Chicago.
The trail spans 2.7 miles and features stunning views of the city’s neighborhoods, parks, and public art installations.
The 606 Trail is a great spot for solo travelers looking for a peaceful escape from the city’s hustle and bustle, as well as photo opportunities with stunning City views.
Tips for taking the best photos on The 606 Trail
- Visit during the fall or vibrant foliage and colourful landscapes.
- Take advantage of the trail’s many public art installations for unique and creative photos.
- Rent a bike or bring your own for a fun and active solo friendly activity on the trail.
The Willis Tower Skydeck
The Willis Tower Skydeck is a popular tourist destination in Chicago that offers impressive views of the city and Lake Michigan from 1,353 feet above the ground.
The Skydeck’s glass balcony, known as “The Ledge,” is a must-visit for Instagrammers looking for a thrilling photo opportunity.
The balcony extends 4.3 feet from the building’s facade, giving visitors the sensation of floating above the city.
Tips for taking the best photos at The Willis Tower Skydeck
- Visit early in the morning or late in the afternoon to avoid crowds and long lines
- Use a wide-angle lens to capture expansive views of the city and Lake Michigan
- Experiment with different poses and angles on The Ledge for unique and thrilling photos.
Wicker Park is a trendy neighborhood in Chicago that offers plenty of Instagram worthy Spots for solo travellers.
The neighborhood’s colourful street art, quirky shops, and unique restaurants make it a popular spot for Instagrammers looking for something a little different.
Some of the most Instagram worthy spots in wicker Park include the “Greetings from Chicago” mural, which features a colourful postcard-inspired design, and the “You Are Beautiful” mural, which encourages positivity and self-love.
Tips for taking the best photos in Wicker Park:
- Visit during the day to capture the colourful Street art in natural light
- Explore the neighborhood’s side streets and alleys to discover hidden photo spots
The Chicago Riverwalk
The Chicago Riverwalk is scenic promenade along the Chicago river that offer stunning views of the city’s architecture and skyline.
The Riverwalk has plenty of Instagram-worthy spots, including the “Chicago” sign near the Michigan Avenue Bridge and the city winery Chicago Riverwalk, which offers outdoor seating and river views.
There are other Art installations you can explore here, such as the Water Plaza, Whispers, etc.
The Chicago Theatre
It is a historic landmark in downtown Chicago that features extraordinary Marquee lights and ornate interior decorations.
The theater hosts a variety of concerts, plays, and comedy shows throughout the year, making it a popular spot for solo travellers looking for entertainment and photo opportunities.
The theater’s iconic “Chicago” sign is a must-visit for Instagrammers, especially at night when it is lit up with the bright lights.
The Garfield Park Conservatory
The Garfield Park Conservatory is a lush indoor botanical garden in Chicago that features a variety of exotic plants and flowers from around the world.
The conservatory’s stunning architecture, including it’s palm house and room, make it an Instagram-worthy spot for solo travellers.
Aside that, it also hosts a variety of events and workshops throughout the year, such as yoga classes and guided nature walks.
The Chicago Cultural Center
It is a beautiful historic building in downtown Chicago that features breathtaking stained glass domes, intricate mosaics, and impressive marble staircases.
The center hosts a variety of cultural events, exhibitions, and performances throughout the year, making it a great spot for solo travellers looking for both entertainment and Instagram worthy photo opportunities.
It is highly recommended to:
- Visit during the day to capture the natural light filtering through the stained glass domes
- Take a free guided tour to learn about the building’s history and architectural details
- Check out the center’s many events and exhibitions for solo-friendly activities, such as live music and art workshops.